Monday, 19 June 2017

RIP Stephen Furst and John G Avildsen

Two more sad deaths from the entertainment world occurred on Friday; film and television actor Stephen Furst and Oscar-winning director John G. Avildsen.


Furst is perhaps best known for his role as Flounder in the hit 1978 comedy film National Lampoon's Animal House. He was a regular in the science fiction series Babylon 5 playing Centauri diplomatic attaché Vir Cotto. But for me personally, I will always have fond memories of his role in St Elsewhere as Dr. Elliot Axelrod. Alongside acting, Furst also worked as a director and producer. He died from complications with diabetes, something he has suffered with all his adult life.

RIP.


American film director John G Avildsen will forever be known as the Oscar-winning director of 1976's Rocky, but in a career that stretched back to 1970 with his debut feature Joe, Avildsen was responsible for many films including the stunning Save The Tiger, which earned Jack Lemmon a Best Actor Oscar and the first three films in the original Karate Kid franchise. He returned to the Rocky series with 1990's critically mauled Rocky V. Avildsen passed away following a battle with pancreatic cancer.

RIP.

2 comments:

  1. He'll always be Dr Axelrod to me too. I have fond memories of St Elsewhere, it still holds up quite well today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah good to see another St Elsewhere fan! But then you always have such good taste, Andrea :)

      That, Cheers and Hill Street Blues remind me so much of my childhood, sitting with dad waiting for mum to come in from work (she worked evenings) and I rediscovered them all over again when I was in my twenties. I think I'll watch the first season of St Elsewhere again soon actually - criminally the only season to be released to DVD here :( I know I have some of the later series recorded off the TV too...it wasn't that long ago that Channel 4 were still repeating them in the small hours

      Delete