Thursday, 27 April 2017

RIP Leo Baxendale

Leo Baxendale, the comic artist who created Minnie the Minx, the Bash Street Kids, the Three Bears and Little Plum for The Beano, has died at the age of 86 following a long battle with cancer.


As a kid with a talent for drawing, I was a big fan of The Beano, buying the comic every week and the annual each year, and the adventures of Minnie the Mix was one of my absolute favourites to read. He gave me so much fun as a boy that I simply had to pay tribute to him on learning of his passing today.






Baxendale hailed from Preston and began on The Beano in the 1950s, first with Little Plum and later Minnie the Minx and The Bash Street Kids. His anarchic humour and the desire to champion the underdog has been said, by his comic illustrator son Martin, to stem from 'his strongly held left wing, progressive political views'He left The Beano in 1963 to create the comic Wham! but his famous Beano characters of course lived on and continue to live on to this day, with a statue of Minnie the Minx residing in Dundee, the home of The Beano


RIP

1 comment:

  1. Without knowing anything about this gentleman, I can say his work had a big influence on me when I was a kid and, moreover, brought me a lot of pleasure. RIP, sir.

    ReplyDelete