Sunday, 9 April 2017

RIP Brian Matthew

Very sad to hear that Brian Matthew has passed away this weekend at the age of 88.



Just a couple of months ago it was announced that the radio legend would be stepping down from his weekly duties presenting Radio 2's Sounds of the 60s due to ill health - I even composed a blog bidding farewell and a happy retirement. However, it seems that those recurring health problems were more serious than we thought (perhaps more serious than Matthew himself thought, given his response to the newspapers when his retirement was announced) and the great broadcaster has sadly hung up his mic for the last time.

It really is the end of an era, and radio won't be the same without his wonderfully reassuring, friendly tones and his great music selections.

RIP 

12 comments:

  1. Gosh - had missed that. If I forgot to switch off the radio alarm on Friday night I used to end up listening to him by accident on a Saturday morning but always a joy. Good going though to still be at the mic at 88 - RIP Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday mornings just won't be the same now :(

      Delete
  2. Yes, another sad loss. I was equally saddened to see Desmond Carrington retire a few months back: I hope he enjoys a longer retirement than Brian did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate to break it to you, but DC died on the 1st Feb

      Delete
    2. No! Why did I not hear about that? (Did you post it? If so, sorry I missed it.) Very sad now. I loved his show.

      Delete
    3. I didn't post it no, I guess it was a bit remiss of me, but he didn't feature all that much in my life beyond catching the last few mins of his show before Radcliffe and Maconie came on back in the day. I did used to love his sign-off though, promising to take the dog out for its walk!

      Delete
    4. I used to think it was his dog too. Turns out it was his cat!

      Delete
    5. Oh wow! Learn something new everyday!

      Delete
  3. I remember when he used to have The Beatles on "Saturday Club" before they broke really big and they always had a good time because they knew Brian Matthews was the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. He would often play them and those interviews from those days on Sounds of the 60s. Such memories.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It truly was a great voice, and it became more and more rich the older he got too. The timbre of it was so reassuring, so friendly. He'll be sorely missed - indeed, I haven't listened to Sounds of the 60s since he left. Tim Rice just wouldn't be the same at all.

      Nice to see you dropping by again too!

      Delete