Monday, 21 November 2016

RIP William Trevor

William Trevor, the Irish novelist, short story writer and playwright, has passed away at the age of 88


Trevor was shortlisted four times for the Man Booker Prize and won the Whitbread Prize in 1994 for his novel Felicia's Journey. I read this in the summer and was absolutely blown away by how good it was. It was subsequently adapted for cinema in 1999, starring Bob Hoskins and Elaine Cassidy. It's a good film, but it's nothing compared to the book. Other novels such as The Children of Dynmouth and Fools of Fortune were also adapted for the screen.

It's sad to hear he has passed away, but I know I've a lot of his work to catch up on.

RIP

1 comment:

  1. Well he had a good innings, I like a lot of his books too, he captures that small town Irish life perfectly. His collections of short stories are great too - one, "The Ballroom of Romance" was made into a terrific tv film in the 80s. I'd love to see it again.
    Now I can - its on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2ucObX_Xw

    ReplyDelete