Wednesday, 15 June 2016

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

Two moments of triumph and tragedy that occurred on this day twenty years ago, 15th June, 1996.


Paul Gascoigne's beautiful goal against Scotland in the Euro 96 tournament. England won 2-0 and Gazza celebrated in style, recreating the infamous 'Dentist Chair' 






The IRA bomb in Manchester was a 3,300 pound truck bomb; the biggest bomb ever used in their terrorist campaign on the mainland. It destroyed much of the city centre and led to 200 casualties but thankfully, no fatalities.



2 comments:

  1. I remember the attack very well. I'd just finished my first year at university in Manchester and had gone back home a few days before. I was meant to be meeting a friend in Manchester that day but she had a tummy bug and I didn't go. I think about that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, close call eh? I can imagine that you do think about it all the time given the narrow miss.

      It's weird, I have quite good memories of the day, (of that whole summer in fact, as it was the time I left school) but it wasn't until that BBC drama the other year From There To Here that I remembered/realised that both these events occurred on the same day. Down the years in my mind they became two distinct events that I could have sworn they occurred on different days that weekend.

      Watching the footage again - as its cropped up so many times this week and today - you can't help but think how lucky everyone was to get out of that alive.

      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your memories Andrea.

      Delete