Sunday, 17 January 2016

Christopher Rozcyki RIP



Following the death of Alan Rickman this week, I saw that a friend of mine had watched and reviewed the film Truly Madly Deeply on Letterboxd. In their review they comment on how several of the actors involved in the film have recently passed away including Rickman, David Ryall and Christopher Rozycki

Rozycki of course played Kuba in the first 3 series of Casualty and remains a much loved figure. His character in Truly Madly Deeply was very much in the same vein as the hapless Polish immigrant he had played in the medical drama, and he also appeared in such productions as Local Hero, Sleepers, and French Cooking In Ten Minutes

However, the internet seems largely oblivious of his passing. I haven't seen it mentioned on the Holby fan site and both IMDB and Wiki suggest he is still with us.

However my friend pointed me to a forum which has Toby Hadoke claim he passed away in the autumn of last year - and a comment on a video of French Cooking claims that an accident took him away on 10th April 2015.

If it's true, and I presume it must be, this is very sad news, especially as he was very active again in the past eighteen months popping up in Stella and Downton Abbey and appearing in the film The Honourable Rebel as Alexander Korda.



A belated RIP to this wonderful actor, thanks so much for the memories.

6 comments:

  1. Based on his OTT performances in Casualty and Lost Empires I think you're generous in describing him as "wonderful" but maybe he calmed down as he got older. A sad loss nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why he may have been marmite, but I genuinely enjoyed his larger than life performances in Casualty. As a kid at the time, he proved invaluable comic relief away from the horrific injuries and the strong and praiseworthy political content and, even now, I view it warmly

      Delete
  2. Hello Mike - I am Christopher's widow (and was in his last two year his agent as well!) - have a look at Chris's work in TRULY MADLY DEEPLY - particularly his scene with Juliet Stevenson when she turns him down - Chris was a huge personality and there is no denying that - but he lit up both stage and screen I think you will agree - not everyone can mumble through life, or through the screen! Can see why for some tastes he was sometimes larger than life, but OTT - I don't think so, that's something different - thanks for commenting anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am so honoured you've commented on my blog. I was a huge fan of your late husband's and admired his performances greatly; specifically Casualty but also Local Hero, Sleepers, French Cooking...and of course Truly Madly Deeply. I loved his acting style and his exuberant charm which brought a lot of happiness to many - I know the Holby fan site are especially saddened to hear he is no longer with us. My condolences to you. Mark

      Delete
  3. it is true that Christopher died on 10th April 2015 after a fatal accidental fall. As his widow Joanna Hole, I'm so pleased you appreciated Chris's work - he had a wonderful personality and charisma - not OTT I think - just something different! And he was of course an extremely experienced and successful actor in Poland even before his fateful meeting with Bill Forsyth saw him into a film and tv career in the UK. Thanks for remembering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am so honoured you've commented on my blog. I was a huge fan of your late husband's and admired his performances greatly; specifically Casualty but also Local Hero, Sleepers, French Cooking...and of course Truly Madly Deeply. I loved his acting style and his exuberant charm which brought a lot of happiness to many - I know the Holby fan site are especially saddened to hear he is no longer with us. My condolences to you. Mark

      Delete