Thursday, 11 June 2015

Ron Moody, RIP

Ron Moody, best known for his Oscar nominated, Golden Globe winning portrayal of Fagin in the 1968 musical Oliver! has died aged 91.



If the infant me were to write this blog he'd tell you that his favourite author was Charles Dickens (on account of reading the abridged for children editions of many of his novels including A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield and Oliver Twist) that his favourite film was Oliver! and that his favourite actor was Ron Moody.

I was obsessed with Oliver! I knew all the songs, could quote scenes off by heart and me and my friends would regularly re-enact scenes from the film in the playground with me as Fagin.

So it's saddening to hear that my childhood idol has now passed away.

Moody's career was an illustrious one but he claimed that the shooting of Oliver! was one of the happiest times of his life. He also played several other legendary literary figures such as Captain Hook, Sherlock Holmes and Merlin the magician, and gained another legion of young fans when he lent his voice to The Animals of Farthing Wood in the 1990s, but he also famously turned down the role of the Third Doctor in Doctor Who, a decision he came to regret. 

In recent years he guest starred in EastEnders and Holby City and I last saw him thanks to Network DVD's release of Village Hall, a lovely anthology series from the 1970s with each episode focused around a different event at the titular civic institution in which he played a polling station officer on polling day.



RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment