Friday, 27 February 2015

Rubbish, Shite and Bollocks Too!

The trouble with living in a small town means there's very little in the way of entertainment of an evening. Having lived here all my life, I'm rather used to it. What's worse is when they actually try and rectify matters. As you can see here with the latest production at St Helens Theatre Royal...


Now, I love Andrea Dunbar's Rita Sue and Bob Too and I wouldn't mind seeing a stage production of it. But seriously, the washed up teenybopper that is Lee from Steps is no one's idea of Bob!

Bless the naivety (or arrogance) of what he says here;

"I'm really excited to take on the character of Bob and join the cast of this fantastic production. This gives me an opportunity to flex my acting muscles and I hope the audience will enjoy seeing a very different Lee on stage as opposed to the pop star they are used to in Steps"

Acting muscles?! Pah!

Elsewhere there's Emily Fleeshman, sister of former Corrie star Richard, most recently seen in Still Open All Hours, someone who is referred to as ''Merseyside's'' Olivia Sloyan, a former LIPA student who has apparently previously appeared in a Halfords commercial and Crissy Rock (Ken Loach's Ladybird, Ladybird and TV's Benidorm) and a Scouse comic called Micky Finn, two performers who seem to be on the Theatre Royal every season along with Joe Longthorne, Freddie Star, Ken Dodd, the faded stars of Brookside and Shameless and any number of TV psychics.

Rita Sue and Bob Too concludes tomorrow night. I'll give it a miss, thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Looking at that cast list, the mind simply boggles. Almost worth seeing just to see how bad something could be. The film, of course, was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atrocious line up isn't it?

      It's not the first time this theatre company has ruined Dunbar's work; a previous adaptation starred Paul Opacic as Bob (he was once a yuppie in Emmerdale) Nikki Sanderson from Corrie, Danielle Malone from Hollyoaks and Tina Malone (relation I'm guessing) who was in Shameless

      http://static.uk.groupon-content.net/28/19/1350409841928.jpg

      Scary huh?

      LOVE the film as previously blogged here http://randomramblingsthoughtsandfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/rita-sue-and-bob-too-1987.html If you like Dunbar, I thoroughly recommend The Arbor, the docudrama on her life from the great Clio Barnard http://randomramblingsthoughtsandfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-arbor-2011.html

      Delete
  2. At first I read that as H from Steps and my mind boggled ! It was a great movie, the essence of Channel 4 back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT I would have to see! Haha

      Delete
  3. All I can say is eek and ick, now Crissy Rock I do like but even still, no just no. I might be being a tiny bit precious as the film is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, it's sullying the name of a brilliant film really.

      Oh well, off to see Educating Rita at the Liverpool Playhouse next week with Leanne Best and Conn O'Neil. That should be good at least!

      Delete