Saturday, 27 December 2014

I Fucking Love Faye Marsay

If there was any justice in the world, I'd have been watching Pride - the film of 2014 - on Christmas Day. But the film company, DVD distributors whatever couldn't be arsed to pull their finger out and the release date isn't until early March.

Thankfully then I got to see one of the film's stars Faye Marsay appear on TV that day, thanks to the Doctor Who Christmas special, Last Christmas.


I've been a fan of Faye's since seeing her in the BBC period drama The White Queen. From there I loved her in the excellent Fresh Meat and the rather disappointing second series of The Bletchley Circle which she greatly enlivened with her presence. And then she was in Pride, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

But she stole this year's Doctor Who as the character Shona, so much so that fans hope she will return to the series at some stage, ideally as a companion. What's not to love about a gobby little Teesider who dances like this to Slade's Merry Christmas Everyone?!









It was a great Christmas episode for the good Doctor, probably the best since A Christmas Carol Matt's first festive episode. I think it worked because, despite featuring Father Christmas himself (played brilliantly by Nick Frost) its story could have worked at any time of year; it was a great mash up of Alien, The Thing, Inception and Miracle On 34th Street with some proper chills, thrills and spills.


2 comments:

  1. I love that we've basically said exactly the same things about this episode. I'd definitely love to see Shona back again in the future, she'd make a fantastic companion, even if it was just for another one off.

    And now I know who she was played by I'm definitely going to look out for more of Faye Marsay's stuff. She's a great actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot recommend Pride highly enough and she's great in it. And yeah, great minds eh? ;)

      Delete