Friday, 5 September 2014

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

As you may have noticed, I've tinkered with the blog title tonight, swapping it from Random Ramblings, the abbreviated title that has served me well for the last 18 months or so, to something more oblique, So It Goes


As the above flyer shows, So It Goes was the name of the Granada produced music magazine series fronted by a hero of mine, Tony Wilson in the late 70s


Wilson came up with the title as a reference and homage to Kurt Vonnegut's cult classic Slaughterhouse Five, which uses the phrase as a refrain whenever death or mortality occurs in the story. It appears 179 times in the novel, fact fans!


It's not my intention though to be gloomy. Personally, I just like the transitory nature and conversational tone the phrase suggests. As my blog has never truly been about one thing - encompassing everything from film and book reviews to music and pretty pictures (d'aww) - it seems to rather fit the constant change that occurs from post to post.

Do let me know what you think, or if you prefer the original title.

7 comments:

  1. 30 years ago there was a female news caster that would end her broadcast with "so it goes"

    Just Googled - Linda Ellerbee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just googled too (being in the UK I hadn't heard of her) and you're right, she would sign off with 'and so it goes'

      Journos must love Vonnegut; Tony Wilson - the presenter of the music show of the same name I refer to here - was also a newscaster for my local TV, alongside his work at Factory Records and signing Joy Division et al

      Delete
  2. No complaints about the new title. I did the same with my own after only a few weeks under its original (and not very original title), My Blog Thingummy. Only problem now, of course, is that the URL doesn't match the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can change urls, not sure but I'm not too bothered by that, could always come in handy if I change my mind again!

      Delete
    2. You're right, you can change it, though that then leaves the problem of previous visitors no longer being able to find the site. I wish there was a way of having multiple URLs active.

      Delete
  3. I like the change. It suits the blog.

    I've toyed around with changing mine considering I don't have much of a 'clan' but it's been over three years now and I'm kind of attached to it.

    You could always keep the URL and look at getting a domain name which redirected to the URL in the future if you wanted to get into that.

    ReplyDelete