Thursday, 24 July 2014

Great Scot

After witnessing just 20 minutes (believe me, that was enough) of the sheer horror that was Glasgow's opening to the Commonwealth Games last night, I thought it was time to wrestle back to the fore some truly great Scottish culture - because John Barrowman (who left Glasgow aged 8) serenading a giant 'Nessie' whilst people dressed as Tunnocks Tea Cakes really doesn't show the country in a good light. In fact, it made it feel like an acid trip in a Tourist Information Centre. Trust me, Danny Boyle had nothing to worry about here.

So instead here's Frankie Boyle


For some whingeing do-goodies in the establishment, Boyle could not be considered a 'great' person. How can you call someone who tells jokes about Jordan (conceited) Rebecca Adlington (conceited) and James Arthur (conceited) be a good (Scots)man?

This is a Scotsman who brought The Daily Mirror to court when they libelled him a racist. He won £54,650 in damages and gave it to charity. 

This is a Scotsman who ensures we have a dialogue about free speech, the unfairness of censorship, offensive material and what it is to be offended in a society that is becoming too passive aggressive in the way it deals with anyone who doesn't toe the line.

This is a great Scot.

5 comments:

  1. I too was horrified by the opening show, it was the pits, personified by Mr Showbiz himself (Barrowman in that hideous suit) - then they added insult to injury by turning the march of the athletes (the bit thats great about these events, as in 2012) into a charity mugging just like a comic relief or red nose day! I imagine a lot tuned out at that point. Charity is charity and sport is sport .... Then another professional scotsman Rod Stewart took over. I presume he got paid, Rod does not do gigs for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Today though was the real deal - seeing the Brownlee boys not even tired after that astonishing triathlon in that heat, and Michael Jamieson absolutely gutted at just winning silver in the 200m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was some Godawful Brigadoon Scotland. I feel sorry for them, the chance to shine in what is a make or break year and they present that to the world?! I'm slightly annoyed my tolerance level piqued at 20 mins in after seeing Billy Connolly (buggered off Stateside the first chance he got) John Barrowman (left at 8) and Rod Stewart (never even came from there in the first place!) because it meant I missed a proper wonderful talented Scottish singer, Julie Fowlis.

      As for the rest of your comment Michael, I'm afraid it was all Greek to me. I've spent the day largely avoiding any of the sport, as I often do.

      Delete
  3. There's a pretty decent opinion piece on STV's web site about the opening ceremony fiasco: http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/analysis/283777-indyref-daily-stvs-briefing-on-independence-referendum-campaign/

    I still maintain that the first 20-30 minutes were by far the worst. Once John Barrowman, Susan Boyle etc. were taken out back and disposed of, the mood became a lot more sensible.

    I had a conversation yesterday at work with a member of the public who insisted that the Barrowman piece struck the right tone because people from around the world love and lap up Scottish cliches like Nessie, shortbread, Irn Bru etc. My response was fine, by all means celebrate the kitsch, but if that's all you show to the world, you're essentially selling the place as this twee little place that's a bit eccentric but ultimately not very important. It's ultimately what I was saying the other day in my "The News Where You Are" post: it's hard to shake the feeling that it's designed to put us in our place.

    As for Frankie Boyle, he's become something of a social justice keyboard warrior of late. He seems to be perpetually stalking David Cameron on Twitter, and his comments about the Gaza/Israel situation get right to the nub of how I imagine a lot of us feel right now. I found him funny before when he was "just" a comedian, but oddly enough I've found that, as his message has become more and more serious, I've found him more and more amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swung between finding the opening ceremony ridiculously hilarious and incredibly cringeworthy which I'm not entirely sure was the effect they were going for. I knew it was never going to be anywhere near as spectacular as the Olympics opening ceremony but we gave up on it come 10:30 when the baton message still hadn't been read.

    By the way, I can't find an email to send the guest blog survey for you to. Could you drop me a little email to clicksclan@gmail.com so I can send it along? :-)

    ReplyDelete